New to Postgresql - Backend timeout /JDBC

From: "Peter V(dot) Cooper" <pvcooper(at)gte(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pvcooper(at)gte(dot)net
Subject: New to Postgresql - Backend timeout /JDBC
Date: 2002-01-31 15:37:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I am told that the backend to postgresql will automatically
timeout and close a JDBC client connection. In, addition
the client code in JDBC connection.isClosed() will wait
up to 30 seconds (SUN Java 1.3.1) to report the connection
being closed. I normally use Oracle and the server does not
automatically close connections. Am I off base here and if not
then: 1. Is there a flag to turn off timeouts or 2. Can someone
point me in the direction of the code base to possibly never
timeout connections on sockets.