Re: Release in 2 weeks ...

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release in 2 weeks ...
Date: 2001-03-01 20:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

At 11:52 26/02/01 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>Morning all ...
>
> Are there any major outstandings that ppl have on their plates,
>that should prevent a release? I'd like to put out an RC1 by Friday this
>week, with a full release schedualed for March 15th ... this would give
>Thomas his two weeks for the docs freeze ...

It will also give me a little extra time. This week has been a tad busy
work wise for me I've not been able to do anything at all (only now have I
been able to find time to download the 800 emails that were waiting for me
:-( )

> Basically, RC1 would say to ppl that we're ready to release, there
>will be no more core changes that will require an initdb ... feel
>comfortable using this version in production, with the only major changes
>between now and release being docs related ...
>
> Does this work? Or is there something earth-shattering that still
>has to be done?

Not on my front except:

JDBC1.2 driver needs testing (still can't get JDK1.1.8 to install here).
The JDBC 2.1 Enterprise Edition driver also needs some testing.

The JDBC2.1 Standard Edition driver is ready. Some new patches to look at.

PS: Did you know we are only 1 thing short of being JDBC compliant with the
JDBC2.1 SE driver?

The other not implemented bits are extras not technically (according to the
spec) needed for compliance. But then there's not many of them either
(about 11 at last count excluding CallableStatement - which isn't required
which I was surprised about when I check it last weekend).

Peter