8.0.0 RC5-2 Processes/Interfaces Under Windows

From: Randy Yates <yates(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 8.0.0 RC5-2 Processes/Interfaces Under Windows
Date: 2005-01-31 01:21:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I've installed this version on my Win2K machine and can connect
using pgAdminIII just fine.

I then installed libpqxx 2.4.2 via (i.e., for and under) cygwin and
find that no matter what I do I cannot get the most basic test
routine (test001.cxx) to execute. The problem appears to be in
the connection string, but editing the source and specifying a
relatively complete connection stream (i.e., including host, user,
and password) does not work. I'm also getting translation errors
from the library when I use a name for the host instead of the
IP address.

I've seen several interrelated, confusing, unstructured comments
throughout both the postgresql and libpqxx installation documents
that mention some things to watch out for under cygwin, but I
am confused.

My specific questions are as follows:

1. Is the postmaster process now a Windows process that gets
started automatically at system bootup time? If so, is this
postmaster process available from both native win32 applications
(e.g., pgAdminIII) as well as applications which run inside a
cygwin shell?

2. Do I still need to start some process when attempting to run the
libpqxx test suite under cygwin? For example, there was a process
(forget the name) that had to be started using either cygrunsrv or
ipc-daemon2 on at least previous versions.

The result of the "SELECT verison();" query for my system is
"PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc5 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"
--
% Randy Yates % "Watching all the days go by...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % Who are you and who am I?"