Re: I: About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Leonardo F <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I: About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch
Date: 2010-02-09 16:16:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Leonardo F <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it> wrote:

> Not even a comment? As I said, performance results on my system
> were very good....

Hi Leonardo,
Perhaps you could supply a .sql file containing a testcase illustrating the
performance benefits you tested with your patch -- as I understand, the sole
purpose of this patch is to speed up CLUSTER -- along with your results? The
existing src/test/regress/sql/cluster.sql looks like it only has some basic
sanity checks in it, and not performance tests. An idea of what hardware
you're testing on and any tweaks to postgresql.conf might be useful as well.

I was able to apply your patch cleanly and run CLUSTER with it, and "make
check" passed for me on OS X as well.

Hope this helps, and sorry I'm not able to offer more technical advice on
your patch.
Josh