Re: WIP: Covering + unique indexes.

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Covering + unique indexes.
Date: 2017-10-31 08:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brief reminder of the idea behind the patch:

> _Use case:_
> - We have a table (c1, c2, c3, c4);
> - We need to have an unique index on (c1, c2).
> - We would like to have a covering index on all columns to avoid
> reading of heap pages.
>
> Old way:
> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX olduniqueidx ON oldt USING btree (c1, c2);
> CREATE INDEX oldcoveringidx ON oldt USING btree (c1, c2, c3, c4);
>
> What's wrong?
> Two indexes contain repeated data. Overhead to data manipulation
> operations and database size.
>
> New way:
> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX newidx ON newt USING btree (c1, c2) INCLUDE (c3, c4);

To find more about the syntax you can read related documentation patches
and also take a look
at the new test - src/test/regress/sql/index_including.sql.

Updated version is attached. It applies to the commit
e4fbf22831c2bbcf032ee60a327b871d2364b3f5.
The first patch patch contains changes in general index routines
and the second one contains btree specific changes.

This version contains fixes of the issues mentioned in the thread above
and passes all existing tests.
But still it requires review and testing, because the merge was quite
uneasy.
Especially I worry about integration with partitioning. I'll add some
more tests in the next message.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-covering-core_v3.patch text/x-patch 109.6 KB
0002-covering-btree_v3.patch text/x-patch 42.9 KB