Re: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Arnold, Sandra" <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG
Date: 2012-07-10 20:31:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 07/10/2012 01:08 PM, Arnold, Sandra wrote:
> I am trying to find out what PostgreSQL does when it cannot write to its
> SYSLOG file, whether it is permissions or the file system where the log
> resides is full is the problem.

PostgreSQL doesn't write to a SYSLOG file. It sends it to the syslog
daemon. (if you are indeed using syslog)

> Does PostgreSQL stall, does it rollback
> the transaction it cannot log to the SYSLOG, or does it continue on as
> if there is not an issue?

This is a non-issue in terms of transactions and operations.

> I am writing Security controls and since I am
> using the SYSLOG for auditing purposes and I need to document what
> happens in case there was a failure in writing to the SYSLOG. For
> instance, Oracle rollbacks any transactions that are being audited it
> cannot write to its audit logs. Just want to know what PostgreSQL does.

You should probably look at tablelog for auditing. It automates it.
Syslog is not really a good way to handle that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579