Re: xlog filename formatting functions in recovery

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: xlog filename formatting functions in recovery
Date: 2012-07-03 08:34:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/07/12 20:24, Daniel Farina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed recently that I can't seem to use the convenient xlog
> filename formatting functions while I'm in a standby. I don't see an
> incredibly obvious reason why that is the case, so here's a patch that
> simply removes the ban on being able to call these formatting
> functions.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but it feels like this is an oversight
> from the days when there was no useful function to call that formatted
> a X/X-type record on a standby.

I must add a +1 to that, gotta be my pet peeve with this otherwise fine
functionality. Also it would be really nice to have a single function
that gave the current receive or active wal offset so things like Nagios
didn't have to know the if db is a standby or not to work out said offset...

Regards

Mark