Performance of pg_basebackup

From: Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Performance of pg_basebackup
Date: 2012-06-12 14:54:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get pg_basebackup to be...
faster. Currently we do our backups something like this:

tar -c -I pigz -f /db/backup_yyyy-mm-dd.tar.gz -C /db pgdata

Which basically calls pigz to do parallel compression because with RAIDs
and ioDrives all over the place, it's the compression that's the
bottleneck. Otherwise, only one of our 24 CPUs is actually doing anything.

I can't seem to find anything like this for pg_basebackup. It just uses
its internal compression method. I could see this being the case for
pg_dump, but pg_basebackup just produces regular tar.gz files. Is there
any way to either fake a parallel compression here, or should this be a
feature request for pg_basebackup?

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534