using ordinal_position

From: John Fabiani <johnf(at)jfcomputer(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: using ordinal_position
Date: 2012-06-07 23:17:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm attempting to retrieve data using a select statement without knowing
the column names. I know the ordinal position but not the name of the
column (happens to be a date::text and I have 13 fields).

Below provides the name of the column in position 3:

select column_name from (select column_name::text, ordinal_position from
information_schema.columns where
table_name='wk_test') as foo where ordinal_position = 3;

But how can I use the above as a column name in a normal select statement.

Unlike other databases I just can't use ordinal position in the select
statement - RIGHT???

Johnf