is it possibile get the psql prompt output?

From: Ottavio Campana <ottavio(at)campana(dot)vi(dot)it>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: is it possibile get the psql prompt output?
Date: 2012-05-16 07:06:56
Lists: psycopg

I am writing a small python script and I'd like to get the output I
would get as if I executed the commands from psql. Let's make an
example, suppose you have a small table such as

create table xxx_test (
id serial,
description text);

and that you perform this command in psql

mydb=# INSERT INTO xxx_test values (default, 'ciao');
INSERT 0 1
mydb=#

In python I do

cursor = connection.cursor ()
cursor.execute (command)
connection.commit ()

with command being the insert command. Now the question is: is there a
way to get the "INSERT 01" back?

Thank you,

Ottavio