Re: Re: PATCH: The linker complains about the '-bundle_loader "../../src/backend/postgres"' against PostgreSQL 8.4 on OSX

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: PATCH: The linker complains about the '-bundle_loader "../../src/backend/postgres"' against PostgreSQL 8.4 on OSX
Date: 2012-05-07 10:33:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 06.05.2012 19:05, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 30.04.2012 15:14, Ashesh Vashi wrote:
>>>
>>> With PostgreSQL 8.4.11, I still face the same issue, resolved as part of
>>> the following checked-in:
>>>
>>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pldebugger.git;a=commitdiff;h=b9c756ef6cd4bdabea203905b2071d0e6b4e0d4d
>>>
>>> I tried to resolve the issue by removing the duplicate words for the
>>> SHLIB_LINK variable in the Makefile for pldebugger.
>>> I just changed it specifically for PostgreSQL 8.4 on OSX platform, because
>>> PostgreSQL build script may get changed in future releases (i.e.
>>> pldebugger
>>> is compiling well with PostgreSQL 9.0+ on OSX because of such
>>> modification.)
>>>
>>> Please find the attached patch for the same.
>>> I know - it looks ugly, but I could not think of any other solution at the
>>> moment.
>>

>> Hmm, we have to currently jump through a lot of hoops to make the Makefile
>> do what we want. First of all, we're building two libraries from the same
>> Makefile. The usual PGXS targets don't support that, so I had to hack it so
>> that we use the MODULES variable to buld pldbgapi.so, and in addition to
>> that, set NAME=plugin_debugger and include src/Makefile.shlib to build
>> plugin_debugger.so.
>>
>> Things would be much simpler if we had a separate subdirectory for building
>> plgdbgapi.so and plugin_debugger.so. However, it would be even simpler if we
>> just built it all into a single library. At the moment, there's a runtime
>> dependency between pldbgapi.so and plugin_debugger.so anyway, so that to use
>> any of the functions in pldbgapi.so, you have to load plugin_debugger.so. If
>> they were just one library, you could more easily do local debugging without
>> having to add plugin_debugger.so to shared_preload_libraries. At the moment
>> you get an error about a missing symbol if you try to do that, unless you
>> manually LOAD plugin_debugger.so.
>>
>> Another unusual thing we do is that we install plugin_debugger.so to the
>> <installdir>/lib/plugins directory, instead of just<installdir>/lib. We've
>> had to add special install and uninstall rules for that.
>>
>> To make that more straightforward, I think we should just install
>> plugin_debugger.so into lib like any other extension. I don't see any
>> particular reason why it has to be installed to plugins-directory.
>>
>> Putting those two together, let's build just a single .so file, called
>> plugin_debugger.so, which contains both the PL/pgSQL hooks and the
>> client-facing pldbg_* functions used to do debugging. After that, the
>> makefile will be much simpler, which means less trouble with OS-specific
>> things like this. Not only now, but also in the future if the pgxs makefiles
>> are changed - we make quite a few assumptions of the pgxs build system at
>> the moment.
>
> Sounds fine - but I'm not keen on making such changes in the back
> branches. Can we fix the current problem, and re-architect for 9.2
> [...]

We don't really have back-branches for pldebugger. Or versioned
releases, for that matter. I'll fix this in git master. I consider the
current tip of the old CVS repository (or the corresponding checkout
from the git repo) to be the latest stable release, PostgreSQL one-click
installers <= 9.1 can continue to use that version.

We probably should tag and put out a versioned release of pldebugger on
pgxn, sometime during the PostgreSQL 9.2 beta period, so that it's ready
when PostgreSQL 9.2 is released.

--
Heikki Linnakangas