Re: Re: xReader, double-effort (was: Temporary tables under hot standby)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <andres(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<aakash(dot)bits(at)gmail(dot)com>, <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: xReader, double-effort (was: Temporary tables under hot standby)
Date: 2012-04-28 15:17:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Simon Riggs writes:
>> Translating WAL is a very hard task.
>
> No kidding. I would think it's impossible on its face. Just for
> starters, where will you get table and column names from? (Looking
> at the system catalogs is cheating, and will not work reliably
> anyway.)

Well, the xReader approach (Aakash's GSoC project) is to serve as a
proxy for a WAL stream going to a hot standby, to interpret each
incoming WAL record by "cheating" and querying the HS before passing
the WAL along, and then using sync rep to the HS regardless of
whether the incoming stream is sync or async. What reliability
problem do you see with this approach?

-Kevin