Re: [BUG] Checkpointer on hot standby runs without looking checkpoint_segments

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Checkpointer on hot standby runs without looking checkpoint_segments
Date: 2012-04-24 06:53:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.04.2012 02:59, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
> <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> Hello, this is new version of standby checkpoint_segments patch.
>
> Thanks for the patch!

This still makes catching up in standby mode slower, as you get many
more restartpoints. The reason for ignoring checkpoint_segments during
recovery was to avoid that. Maybe it's still better than what we have
currently, I'm not sure, but at least it needs to be discussed. Would be
good to do some performance testing of recovery with various
checkpoint_segments and _timeout settings, with and without this patch.

--
Heikki Linnakangas