Re: PostgreSQL Certified Engineer program ...

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certified Engineer program ...
Date: 2012-04-17 04:38:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 04/16/2012 01:01 PM, Ashish Nauriyal wrote:
> Right ! Details are here:
> http://enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/certification/postgresql-associate-certification

I object to the wording of this page. You are titling this "PostgreSQL
Certification". It is not; it is properly described in later parts, as
"Postgres Plus® Certification". It's completely reasonable for you to
offer a certification class to your database variation, which is fully
branded with its own registered trademark and everything. If all use of
"PostgreSQL Certification" on this page were changed to "Postgres Plus®
Certification", I'd consider this a completely reasonable product offering.

The model where a vendor releasing a piece of software creates an
official certification program for that software is well accepted in the
industry. But there is no vendor controlling the community PostgreSQL
releases, by design. That means there's also no vendor to create,
grade, and certify exam procedures. As it stands right now, you're
claiming to offer something--PostgreSQL certification--that does not exist.