Visual FoxPro (VFP) 9 Migration Strategy to Postgresql on Linux

From: "Kevin Salisbury" <KSalisbury(at)twinman(dot)com>
To: "Postgresql Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Visual FoxPro (VFP) 9 Migration Strategy to Postgresql on Linux
Date: 2012-04-13 15:41:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

We are in the early stages of planning a migration of all our VFP 9 databases to Postgresql. Our VFP dbc contains roughly 300 tables and 8GB total data. Screen replacements are likely going to be HTML5/CSS3 based and report replacements will likely be one of the open source BI reporting portals. While we know VFP very well, and we use a LOT of linux elsewhere in the company - we know very little about Postgres. We do see a lot of tutorials out there for new Postgres databases, but not much in the way of migration from VFP. We're curious to know if anyone else has gone through a similar migration that may have some advice on how to get started.

NOTICE:
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom
notify the sender and delete all copies on your system. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Twin
Manufacturing Company, Inc.