Re: [JDBC] Regarding GSoc Application

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Regarding GSoc Application
Date: 2012-04-09 16:45:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On 04/09/2012 12:14 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> So I'm confused, once they link a file to an FDW can't you just read
> it with an normal select ?
>
> What additional functionality will this provide ?

I'm confused about what you're confused about. Surely this won't be
linking files to an FDW, but foreign DBMS tables, in anything you can
access via JDBC. All you'll need on the postgres side is the relevant
JDBC driver, so you'd have instant access via standard select queries to
anything you can get a JDBC driver to talk to. That seems to me
something worth having.

I imagine it would look rather like this:

CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER foodb HANDLER pljava_jdbc_handler
OPTIONS (driver 'jdbc.foodb.org');
CREATE SERVER myfoodb FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER foodb OPTIONS(host
'1.2.3.4', user 'foouser', password 'foopw');
CREATE FOREIGN TABLE footbl (id int, data text) SERVER myfoodb;
SELECT * from footbl;

cheers

andrew