Re: Panel height redimensioning in Query builder

From: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Panel height redimensioning in Query builder
Date: 2012-03-03 16:17:42
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 03/03/2012 02:05 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 00:18 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

>>> I will see what I can do. There is a technical issue generating the
>>> screen shots since in order to show what is happening with any click and
>>> drag, the mouse is busy and cannot be used to trigger a screenshot
>>> event. Gimp grabs the mouse cursor and modifies it to help you, but it
>>> kills exactly what I need. The only way is for me to grab a stationary
>>> window and draw into it.
>>>
>>> It might be easier for me to break down into smaller steps and see if
>>> others can follow. In issues like this there is perhaps one single point
>>> which is impeding communication and comprehension.
>>>
>>> So in 1.15 Dev:
>>>
>>> 1. Open pgadmin3
>>> 2. click on 'execute arbitrary SQL queries' button
>>> 3. window opens with 3 panels, SQL editor/GQB (1), scratch pad (2),
>>> output pane (3), make sure SQL editor is selected
>>> 4. on my window first two are side by side at top, output pane below
>>> 5. there are separator bars between these panels. Vertical bar between 1
>>> and 2, and horizontal bar between (1+2) and 3.
>>> 6. roll mouse over the vertical bar, cursor changes to double arrow.
>>> same with horizontal bar.
>>> 7. roll over vertical bar, click and drag (do not release mouse button
>>> yet) to resize left and right panes. As you drag, a new hatched vertical
>>> bar appears that follows the mouse as you drag. On release mouse,
>>> hatched 'guide' bar disappears and the true bar jumps into place.
>>> 8. now try to do the same thing with the horizontal bar. The cursor
>>> changes shape correctly, but the hatched guide bar does not appear as
>>> you drag up and down, even though on button release the true bar jumps
>>> to the new location.
>>>
>>> Please let me know at which step my explanation is muddled.
>>>
>>> If you can follow and reproduce this, try the same thing with the GQB
>>> and you will see that the behaviour of the horizontal bar is subtly
>>> different.
>>>

>> OK, understood. I can reproduce it. I have the same issue with the
>> browser window. The issue stops if I put the scratch pad on the whole
>> right side. Anyways, I believe it is more related to wxWidgets. Their
>> demo has the same issue. On 2.9, they don't seem to have the issue (once
>> again with their demo tool).
>>

> BTW, I was able this week to make pgAdmin works with wxWidgets 2.9. I
> confirm that the issue you're talking about disappear with wxWidgets
> 2.9.

I have compiled now with wxW 2.9.3.

Agreed things are much improved with this situation.

One major change is that the cursor does not now change when you roll
over the sensitive bars. When on the bar a click changes the cursor, but
for novices who are not aware of exactly where the sensitive area is,
cursor changes on rollover would be a lot more helpful.

--
---
Colin Beckingham