Re: Syntax got translated

From: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syntax got translated
Date: 2012-02-20 21:49:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Am 20.02.2012 22:19, schrieb Guillaume Lelarge:
> French folks are used to have translations everywhere. And if they don't,
> they scream :)
>
> I don't say it's a good thing :)

That is why I expected a culture difference here.
I know that in French all get translated to French.
That is the French culture - the French language - neither good nor bad.
It is like it is.
There are other languages that work similar to French.

Languages like German, Dutch and others just work different.

Germans often just take the English word and use it - and after a while
you can find the
English word in German thesaurus using German grammar.
When the word made it into our thesaurus - then the English word finally
got adopted as
German word.

Honestly, the problem Germans have with it is - thinking to beginners -
when they read
"Default" they know that there is a default constraint on it. When they
read one of the
translations for "default" - they don't know what is going on. You
really need to translate
to English to understand that it is a default constraint.

Germans are confused from such kind of translations. It is more
confusing for them as
it will help them.

I don't know if it is possible - but could it get split by language
here. Translate in French but
not in German or so.

Susanne

--
Dipl. Inf. Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com