How to split up phone numbers?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org >> PostgresSQL list" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to split up phone numbers?
Date: 2012-02-20 14:50:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
is there a way to split up phone numbers?
I know that's a tricky topic and it depends on the national phone number
format.
I'm especially interested in a solution for Germany, Swizerland and Austria.

I've got everything in a phone number column that makes hardly sense like:
+49432156780
0049 4321 5678 0
04321/5678-0
and so on...
Those 3 samples are actually the same number in different notations.

Aim would be to get a normalized number split up in 4 seperate columns
nr_nation
nr_city
nr_main
nr_individual

so I end up with
49 4321 5678 0 for central
49 4321 5678 42 for Mr. Smith

Is this doable?

It would be a start to at least split off nr_nation and nr_city.