Re: Slogans for 9.2

From: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slogans for 9.2
Date: 2012-02-02 07:30:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I do agree we don't want to lose sight of the "secure" aspect of PostgreSQL. One of the more convincing arguments I've made for using PostgreSQL in business cases is its adherence to data integrity. So it would become:
>>
>> Fast. Powerful. Secure. PostgreSQL.
>
> While I think this is moving in the right direction, I want to emphasize
> that this is a slogan for the 9.2 release, *not* for PostgreSQL in
> general. What's new in the 9.2 release (pending some commits) is:
>
> * lots of major perforamance improvements
> * JSON support
> * cascading replication
>
> ... there's no substantial new security features in 9.2 that I know of.
>
> I like the Fast & Powerful, though -- it goes with the iconography I
> have in mind for the image.

Or you could try the word "strength" which implies both features and security at
once, so you can be less verbose. Also just 2 syllables total for the adjectives:

* Fast. Strong. PostgreSQL.

I'm reminded of a freely available CJ Date book that was recently published, and
maybe something can be stolen from its title:

* Go Faster! PostgreSQL.

... which doesn't imply that Pg was slower before; it is ambiguous enough to
suggest either Pg has become faster than before, or that Pg is faster than
alternatives.

There's also, a modification, which also steals a bit from the title of one of
my own talks from 2008:

* Go Faster! At Full Power! PostgreSQL.

... which can also speak power but without some of the negative connotations of
"powerful".

Or:

* Go Faster At Full Power With PostgreSQL.

-- Darren Duncan