Re: JDBC Driver in Glassfish 3.1.1

From: Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC Driver in Glassfish 3.1.1
Date: 2012-01-26 07:59:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 01/26/2012 07:41 AM, Petra Systems wrote:
> Hi:
> Below is the environment and a definition of the problem and other details. If this is not the proper location to post please advise.
>
> 1) Application Server is Glassfish 2.1.1 (problem was also observed with 3.1.1) running on a Solaris 10 x86 (AMD) with a ZFS file system.
>
> 2) Database Server is Solaris 10 x86 (AMD) running postgres 8.2 with a UFS file system.
>
> 3) The ear file consists of an Applet, a war file and an ejb jar. All have been built with Netbeans 7.1 using JDK 1.6. The application run environment is listed
> by Netbeans as EE 6. There is something strange in that the EE environment for the war file is listed by Netbeans as J2EE 1.4.
>
> 4) This application has been running for years with the postgres database on the same server as Glassfish.
>
> 5) When the database is remote the jndi lookup works but the ds.connection(userid,password) fails. The connection pool is setup with an XADatasource and ping is
> successful. Also, Netbeans can connect to the remote database and so can pgAdmin.
>
> 6) The exception thrown is not an SQLException and I added some more catch statements to try to unwind the exceptions. See code and stack trace attached.
>
> 7) The application is using EJB 2.1 technology with Bean Managed Persistence which currently is our preferred approach. The inability to make the connection
> occurs in both servlets and entity beans. The jndi lookup works but the ds.connect does not.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

What is your jdbc driver version (in the jar/war/ear)?

The lowest exception seems to be:
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.postgresql.jdbc3.Jdbc3Connection.getClientInfo()Ljava/util/Properties
that the com.sun.gjc.spi.jdbc40.ConnectionHolder40.init is trying to invoke.

The getClientInfo was only introduced in jdbc4.
So my guess is that you have jdbc3 driver and you have configured a jdbc4 pooling on the server.

If you upgrade to latest jdbc4 driver does it work?