9.3 feature proposal: vacuumdb -j #

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: 9.3 feature proposal: vacuumdb -j #
Date: 2012-01-13 21:50:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

It occurs to me that I would find it quite personally useful if the
vacuumdb utility was multiprocess capable.

For example, just today I needed to manually analyze a database with
over 500 tables, on a server with 24 cores. And I needed to know when
the analyze was done, because it was part of a downtime. I had to
resort to a python script.

I'm picturing doing this in the simplest way possible: get the list of
tables and indexes, divide them by the number of processes, and give
each child process its own list.

Any reason not to hack on this for 9.3?

--
Josh Berkus