Re: Backup messages displayed with wrong encoding

From: Alexander LAW <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup messages displayed with wrong encoding
Date: 2011-12-13 04:15:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,
To make it clear I am posting two screenshots.
ss_backup_win1251 shows valid table name (which is "Test" in Russian),
but in ss_backup_utf8 you can see the name with wrong encoding.

When I said "pgAdmin assumes", I meant that it converts pg_admin output
stream to string as ANSI-encoded, but it's not always the case.
In fact, the opposite is common on Windows with Russian locale (and
non-ASCII object names), cause UTF-8 is a default encoding for a
database, but locale encoding (SBCS) is Win1251, and when you do backup
with a default encoding, you get an unreadable log.

Best regards,
Alexander

13.12.2011 00:13, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 09:49 +0400, Alexander LAW wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using pgAdmin3 1.14.1 on Windows 2008 R2 (Russian locale, SBCS
>> Win1251) with Postgresql 9.1.2.
>> Having database with UTF-8 encoding and objects, those names contain
>> non-ASCII (Russian) characters, I get non-readable object names when
>> performing backup in pgAdmin3.
>>
> You mean when you restore it? pgAdmin is UTF-8 only but it accepts to
> use other encodings to do the dump.
>
>> I think it's happened because pgAdmin assumes that pg_dump always
>> streams output using current locale encoding. But it's not the case,
>> cause it can be a database encoding (by default) or the encoding
>> specified explicitly in frmBackup.
>>
> pgAdmin doesn't assume anything. It simply launches pg_dump with the
> options you set in the frmBackup dialog. Righ now, I cannot say wher the
> issue is. I would need more info to guess that.

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/png 45.3 KB
image/png 45.5 KB