Re: Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server
Date: 2011-10-25 02:37:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 10/24/2011 4:47 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:
> What about redundancy?
>
> How do you swap an about-to-die SSD?
>
> Software RAID-1?

The approach we take is that we use 710 series devices which have
predicted reliability similar to all the other components in the
machine, therefore the unit of replacement is the entire machine. We
don't use trays for example (which saves quite a bit on data center
space). If I were running short endurance devices such as 320 series I
would be interested in replacing the drives before the machine itself is
likely to fail, but I'd do so by migrating the data and load to another
machine for the replacement to be done offline. Note that there are
other operations procedures that need to be done and can not be done
without downtime (e.g. OS upgrade), so some kind of plan to deliver
service while a single machine is down for a while will be needed
regardless of the storage device situation.