Re: Tablespace files deleted in continuous run

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Vishnu S(dot)" <vishnu(dot)s(at)nestgroup(dot)net>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespace files deleted in continuous run
Date: 2011-10-18 16:44:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Vishnu S." <vishnu(dot)s(at)nestgroup(dot)net> wrote:

> I have created index on some of the tables in the custom
> tablespace. But the indexes resides in the default tablspace. Is
> there any issue in it?

No.

> Is there any chance for deleting the tablespace, if the crash
> recovery using WAL and fsync is failed?

I don't know what "fsync is failed" means, but if you turn off fsync
or have volatile caches between the database and the permanent
media, an OS or hardware crash can leave you with an unusable
database.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-WAL-SETTINGS

You haven't given the lists enough information to do more than make
wild guesses about the nature of your runtime environment or your
actual problems, but if part of the picture is that fsync is turned
off, there are absolutely no guarantees about having a usable
database if the OS goes down abruptly.

-Kevin