Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example
Date: 2011-09-21 23:02:37
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I can see a few problems with your script, as far as making it into a
> generally reusable example:
>
> - Uses bash. Portable scripts shouldn't do this.
>
> - Overwrites PATH variable for unrelated purpose.
>
> - Path ($PATH) should be quoted everywhere. (By contrast, you don't
> need the quotes in PATH="$1". Just saying ...)
>
> - cp shouldn't be called with an absolute path.

Most of these problems stemmed from the unnoticed fact that I'd made
PATH the name of my variable. The absolute path for cp for example?
Added that because it couldn't seem to find cp in the PATH, which was
driving me crazy for a while there...sigh.

Attached version fixes the late night brain fade errors. I think the
right thing to do next is to package this up into a doc update that
corrects the errors in that section too; just clean the whole thing up
while I'm poking at it. I'll submit that over to the hackers list so
that everyone can take a shot at correcting my shell code.

Attachment Content-Type Size
local_backup_script.sh application/x-sh 672 bytes