psql additions

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql additions
Date: 2011-09-11 18:58:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's a couple of ideas I had recently about making psql a bit more
user friendly.

First, it would be useful to be able to set pager options and possibly
other settings, so my suggestion is for a \setenv command that could be
put in a .psqlrc file, something like:

\setenv PAGER='less'
\setenv LESS='-imFX4'

Probably other people can think of more uses for such a gadget.

Second, I'd like to be able to set a minimum number of lines below which
the pager would not be used, something like:

\pset pagerminlines 200

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew