Re: dropdb: database removal failed: active sessions

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dropdb: database removal failed: active sessions
Date: 2011-08-29 20:39:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/29/11 12:22 PM, JD Wong wrote:
> I cannot dropdb. Postgres throws me:
> dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR: database "database1" is being
> accessed by other users
> DETAIL: There are 1 other session(s) using the database.
>
> the "select datname,current_query,query_start from pg_stat_activity ;"
> query gives me:
>
> datname |
> current_query
> | query_start
> -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------
> database1 | <IDLE>
>
> | 2011-08-29 15:07:31.423596-04
>
> Is the drop being prevented by the active query from database2? If
> not how can I kill the <IDLE> query that must be preventing deletion.

any connection to the database, even idle, will prevent a drop database.

try...

select pg_terminate_backend(procpid) from pg_stat_activity where
datname = 'database1';

that will snuff those processes. then you can drop the database,
assuming the clients don't immediately reconnect.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast