snapshot backup with WAL files

From: Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: snapshot backup with WAL files
Date: 2011-07-29 15:35:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Gurus,
I would like to configure our Pg db for OS file system snapshot backup
with Pg WAL files, need to know if would be enough in pg db to call :
|*SELECT* *pg_start_backup*('pitr_backup');
and next take the snapshot and after
pg_stop the backup and close the WAL files . During this time the full
pg db read/writes will continue.
Are any loss of data we should may be aware during this backup procedure?
env :RHES-64 bits with LVM directories, PG 9.0, the db size >150GB
Thank you
Isabella

Isabella A. Ghiurea

Isabella(dot)Ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre |http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/hia/data-centre.html
National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045