Re: cast bytea to double precision[]

From: Mathieu Dubois <mathieu(dot)dubois(at)limsi(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cast bytea to double precision[]
Date: 2011-07-26 19:02:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 07/26/2011 08:40 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Mathieu Dubois
> <mathieu(dot)dubois(at)limsi(dot)fr> wrote:
>> On 07/26/2011 04:30 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>>> probably not -- arrays can be significantly smaller than a set of
>>> individual tuples each holding one value because of the tuple
>>> overhead, but you still have to pay for the array header and a 4 byte
>>> length/null indicator per element.
>>>
>>> A packed string is often the smallest way to store data, although not
>>> necessarily the best. A double precision[] comes with a lot of syntax
>>> advantages.
>> Thanks for your advice!
>>
>> I find the result surprising because the floats are encoded with a lot of
>> characters (something like 20) while a double is 8 bytes.
>>
>> I have tried to run VACCUM but it changed nothing...
>>
>> All of my code is based on strings so I won't take time to modify it if
>> there is no gain.
> right. remember that with each array element there is a 4 byte
> indicator (which is the length and the null flag) for each element.
> So array element size is 12 bytes, not 8, and you have the overhead of
> the array itself which contains dimension information and type oid.
> So, it's about a wash vs 15 digits precision floating point and one
> byte delimiter.
Are you sure that the length of each element is stored?
That seems like a waste of space (if you now that you are in a double
precision[] you know that each element is 8 bytes - or maybe array can
contain different types).
Hum, I forgot to say that I have several hundred or even thousands
elements so saving even few bytes/element might ends up in giga-bytes.
> If all the elements are known not null and the internally stored type
> is fixed length, it's hypothetically possible to not have to store the
> length/null indicator, but postgres does not do that and it might not
> be worth it even if you wanted to.
I initially wanted to store my vector directly as it is in memory.
It's a bad practice since floats can be different from one machine to
the other even if they all use IEEE 754 for instance (byte order, 32 or
64bits machines).
I remembered having some headaches trying to send floats over the
network between old G4 Macs and PC (G4 were using high-endian while
Intel machines are little-endian).

Moreover I use different programming languages (ranging from Ada to
Python) so text was the more common format.
I know that Ada has some ways to specify the memory layout of your
objects but I don't have a lot of experience with that (and it's
probably not the place to ask).
C often use the closest type implemented in hardware so you in a mixed
environment you have to deal with that

Maybe a simple trick is simply to put less data (removing trailing
zeros) and/or fixed relative precision.
> merlin
Thank you again for your time.
The postgres list is always helpful :)