Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-29 18:01:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/29/2011 05:47 PM, Joe Abbate wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On 05/29/2011 11:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In the end, I think that requests for a tracker mostly come from people
>> who are not part of this community, or at least not part of its mailing
>> lists (which is about the same thing IMO).
>
> I think that's a bit harsh. I assume you consider GSM a part of the
> community and he's asking for a tracker, even going to the trouble of
> posting a "Help Wanted!" article about it.
>
>> If they submitted a bug
>> report via the lists, they're generally going to get replies via email,
>> and that seems sufficient to me. But if they submitted a report via the
>> web form, they might well be expecting that they can track what's going
>> on with it on a web page. And that's not unreasonable. But we could
>> fix that without any changes at all in our work processes. Just have
>> the webform add a "cc: bugbot-bugNNNN(at)postgresql(dot)org" to each submitted
>> email, and set up a bot to collect the traffic and display it on a
>> suitable web page. (Spam filtering left as an exercise for the reader.)

[...]

> To collect info/discuss, I could use
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/TrackerDiscussion but I see there's a
> request to not modify/add anything without talking to Stefan
> Kaltenbrunner. Would a new page be preferable?

feel free to reuse/edit the page as you like it(I have just removed the
notice) - the "don't edit" thingy was added because people started to
find the page via google (while searching for a tracker/bugreporting
tool) and considered it official status information or a way to
sell^pitch their preferred tool to me personally.

Stefan