Re: Starting psql without a database?

From: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Starting psql without a database?
Date: 2011-04-27 19:44:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Right you are! 'CREATE DATABASE' worked (started psql with the postgres database) where createdb didn't.

Was there some way to tell from the documentation that createdb is to run from the shell while CREATE DATABASE is run from the psql prompt? I assumed all database-related commands are run from the psql prompt.

Thanks again, Fred

"Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov> wrote:

> I tried using the database 'postgres' which seems to be created
> during the install:
> psql postgres, which takes me to a psql prompt. However, the
> command createdb -T DEFAULT "timecard" now results in the error
> "syntax error at or neat "createdb" with a carat pointing to the
> 'c' in 'createdb'.

I think you're confusing the OS command-line executable createdb:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-createdb.html

and the SQL command CREATE DATABASE:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-createdatabase.html

-Kevin