Re: I am confused after reading codes of PostgreSQL three week

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: hom <obsidianhom(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am confused after reading codes of PostgreSQL three week
Date: 2011-03-18 09:51:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hom,

On 03/17/2011 04:49 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> That's ambitious.

Absolutely, yes. Exercise patience with yourself.

A method that hasn't been mentioned, yet, is digging out your debugger
and attach it to a connected Postgres backend. You can then issue a
query you are interested in and follow the backend doing its work.

That's particularly helpful in trying to find a certain spot of
interest. Of course, it doesn't help much in getting the big picture.

Good luck on your journey through the code base.

Regards

Markus Wanner