SSI, simplified

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: SSI, simplified
Date: 2011-01-24 01:48:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dan is still beating up on the latest patch with DBT-2, but I expect
that I'll be posting a patch tomorrow with all known issues fixed, no
known bugs, and reasonable performance -- except for the issue of how
this work relates to hot standby in the 9.1 release. (We did find
and fix a few bugs after V13, although most of our changes have been
tweaking comments, and the bug fixes have mostly consisted of moving
LW lock statements up or down a few lines.)

If I get a solid answer on the SSI/HS issue before I post V14, I
might be able to cover that, too, in that patch. I haven't wanted to
totally write off the possibility of integrating them as long as
discussion was ongoing; but if someone wants to assume the voice of
Dr. McCoy and declare "It's dead, Jim," I can move on for now and
come back to the issue for 9.2.

In the mean time, I've been pondering the fact that many of those
posting on SSI issues apparently haven't read even the Overview
section of the Wiki page.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Serializable

I know how busy people are, so (inspired by the both the Geico
commercial which they boast was put together on the xtranormal sight
in 15 minutes or less, and the old favorite book "Einstein
Simplified") I've put together an animated "movie" which punches a
few key points from the overview in less than three minutes.
Hopefully, what it lacks in detail it makes up for with brevity and
humor.

Oddly, the computer generated voice sorta mangled something near the
beginning, which was supposed to be "I'm psyched", but sorta sounds
like "I'm sorry". Computers -- you just can't rely on 'em. I hope
people find it entertaining and at least slightly informative. :-)

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8285377/?listid=20642536

I could have just kept on going, but I decided at the start that it
had to be less than three minutes. Also, please make allowances for
the fact that while I went over 15 minutes putting that "movie"
together, it wasn't by all that much....

-Kevin