Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Exit from base backups when shutdown is requested

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Exit from base backups when shutdown is requested
Date: 2011-01-14 12:16:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 14.01.2011 14:10, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Please make that the last commit in this area for next week.
>
> I want to get a base from which to solidify the sync rep code, and
> associated patches.
>
> I'm not saying there will be a code clash, but there may be a clash of
> detail or intention that will make life more difficult for testing.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. There's at least one serious
bug in there still
(http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4D302326.1000000@enterprisedb.com),
and the multiple-concurrent-backups patch is pending review/commit. And
there's one more feature me & Magnus would like to get in before the
release: including all the WAL files required to restore from the backup
in the backup tar itself - we'll see if that makes the release or not.

None of that should conflict seriously with the synch rep code, although
it's hard to tell without seeing the patch. And even if it does, we'll
just resolve the conflict, merge conflicts are not such a big deal.

--
Heikki Linnakangas