Re: management of large patches

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>,<john(dot)okite(at)gmail(dot)org>
Subject: Re: management of large patches
Date: 2011-01-02 18:13:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> - true serializability - not entirely sure of the status of this

I try to keep the status section of the Wiki page up-to-date. I have
just reviewed it and tweaked it for the latest events:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Serializable#Current_Status

There are a number of pending R&D issues:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Serializable#R.26D_Issues

Most of these can be deferred. The ones which really need at least
some attention before release relate to how to deal with serializable
transactions on replication targets and whether we've been properly
careful about using coding style which is safe for machines with weak
memory ordering. I've done my best to follow discussions on that
topic and do the right thing, but someone with a deeper understanding
of the issues should probably take a look.

Someone has joined the effort starting this weekend -- a consultant
who has done a lot of technical writing (John Okite) will be working
on doc changes related to the patch. (I assume that would best be
submitted as a separate patch.)

If you want a shorter version of the patch status: We expect to have
updated patch before the CF, including docs and incorporating
feedback from previous CFs and Heikki's comments on interim work.

-Kevin