Re: export control information of postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc3.jar

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "NOIROT, Julie J" <JULIE(dot)J(dot)NOIROT(at)airbus(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "DUMONT, Didier D" <didier(dot)d(dot)dumont(at)airbus(dot)com>
Subject: Re: export control information of postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc3.jar
Date: 2010-11-30 19:00:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> We are an open source project. We have no such number.

That's not strictly accurate. I'd better put this up as a FAQ item,
since this is the 3rd or fourth time it's come up.

Mr. Didier:

PostgreSQL 8.2 and 8.3 for Solaris only received an export control
number through Sun Microsystems in 2008. Succeeding versions of
PostgreSQL have not received any such number to our knowledge.

Please note two important facts: one, that the US Dept. of Commerce only
gives export control numbers to specific binaries and not to source
code. Second, that PostgreSQL is not a product of the USA; our
developers are all over the world and even our hosted servers are
primarily in Canada, Panama and Europe. As a European company, I do not
believe that Airbus needs be concerned with export control numbers for
community open source PostgreSQL.

The specific software you ask about, the JDBC driver, does not contain
any encryption software; it relies on the encryption supplied by other
packages on the host operating system, and on encryption supplied by the
PostgreSQL server packages. As such, it does not require an export
control number as far as we are aware. If your company attorneys find
otherwise, please notify us so that we may give a more informed response
to future inquries.

I am not an attorney and that none of the above constitutes legal advice.

--Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Core Team