Re: How to achieve sustained disk performance of 1.25 GB write for 5 mins

From: Digimer <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
To: Eric Comeau <ecomeau(at)signiant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to achieve sustained disk performance of 1.25 GB write for 5 mins
Date: 2010-11-17 15:28:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 11/17/2010 09:26 AM, Eric Comeau wrote:
> This is not directly a PostgreSQL performance question but I'm hoping
> some of the chaps that build high IO PostgreSQL servers on here can help.
>
> We build file transfer acceleration s/w (and use PostgreSQL as our
> database) but we need to build a test server that can handle a sustained
> write throughput of 1,25 GB for 5 mins.
>
> Why this number, because we want to push a 10 Gbps network link for 5-8
> mins, 10Gbps = 1.25 GB write, and would like to drive it for 5-8 mins
> which would be 400-500 GB.
>
> Note this is just a "test" server therefore it does not need fault
> tolerance.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eric

Off hand, I would suggest:

8x http://www.kingston.com/ssd/vplus100.asp (180MB/sec sustained write)
stripped (RAID 0, you did say that you don't care about safety). That
should be 1.44GB/sec write, minus overhead.

1x
http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/raid_controllers/3ware_9690sa8i/index.html
RAID card (note that it's the internal port model, despite the image)

4x http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=114 (for
mounting the drives)

That would be about the minimum I should expect you can pay to get that
kind of performance. Others are free to dis/agree. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer(at)alteeve(dot)com