Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: Divakar Singh <dpsmails(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Date: 2010-10-25 18:56:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Profiling could tell you where is the time lost and where is your
program spending time. Having experience with both Oracle and Postgres,
I don't feel that there is much of a difference in the insert speed. I
am not using C++, I am using scripting languages like Perl and PHP and,
as far as inserts go, I don't see much of a difference. I have an
application which inserts approximately 600,000 records into a
PostgreSQL 9.0.1 per day, in chunks of up to 60,000 records every hour.
The table is partitioned and there are indexes on the underlying
partitions. I haven't noticed any problems with inserts. Also, if I use
"copy" instead of the "insert" command, I can be even faster. In
addition to that, PostgreSQL doesn't support index organized tables.

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA