Re: Crash: backup / restore

From: Anssi Kääriäinen <anssi(dot)kaariainen(at)thl(dot)fi>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Crash: backup / restore
Date: 2010-10-25 07:43:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 10/22/2010 02:06 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> The only reason I could guess is that localhost is resolved differently,
> once in IPv4 and once in IPv6. And that either your pg_hba.conf accepts
> IPv4 and IPv6 connections but with a different authentication methode,
> or your .pgpass already has the password for IPv4, and not IPv6 (or
> vice-versa). Not sure I explained myself clearly :)
>
> I think you should check your .pgpass file and your pg_hba.conf file.
> And be careful about IPv4 and IPv6 resolution.

Yes, this is it:
I had this leftover line in pg_hba.conf:
host all all ::1/128 md5

Removing the line gives me:
FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "akaariai", ...

And changing md5 to trust fixes the issue.

I wonder if it would be possible to supply -w to pg_dump to make pg_dump
fail automatically instead of asking for password and thus hanging the
whole pgadmin program. Unfortunately supported only from version 8.4...

- Anssi