Re: Held idle connections vs use of a Pooler

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, dvlhntr(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Held idle connections vs use of a Pooler
Date: 2010-09-14 16:44:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 9/14/10 9:10 AM, mark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am relatively new to postgres (just a few months) so apologies if
> any of you are bearing with me.
>
> I am trying to get a rough idea of the amount of bang for the buck I
> might see if I put in a connection pooling service into the enviroment
> vs our current methodology of using persistent open connections.
>
> We have a number of in house applications that connect to a central
> Postgres instance. (8.3.7). The box is admitting underpowered with
> only 8 cores, and 8gb or ram and not great disk IO out of an MSA-70.
> the database is about 35GB on disk and does mainly (~95%) OTLP type
> queries. I am currently begging for more ram.
>
> Most of the connections from the various apps hold idle connections
> until they need to execute a query once done go back to holding an
> open idle connection. (there are ~600 open connections at any given
> time, and most of the time most are idle)
>
> this is typically fine while the number of active queries is low, but
> some other application (that doesn't use connection pooling or holding
> open connections when not in use) is hitting the db from time to time
> with 50-100 small queries (2ms queries from my testing) nearly all at
> once. when this happens the whole response time goes out the door
> however).

While connection pooling may be a good answer for you, there also appears to be a problem/bug in 8.3.x that may be biting you. My installation is very similar to yours (hundreds of idle "lightweight" connections, occasional heavy use by certain apps). Look at this thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-04/msg00071.php

On the server that's been upgraded to 8.4.4, we're not seeing this problem. But it's not in full production yet, so I can't say for sure that the CPU spikes are gone.

(Unfortunately, the archives.postgresql.org HTML formatting is horrible -- why on Earth can't it wrap lines?)

Craig