Re: Streaming a base backup from master

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Date: 2010-09-03 15:38:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/09/10 18:01, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> On 03/09/10 15:16, Greg Stark wrote:
>>>
>>> Well there's no particular reason we couldn't support having multiple
>>> pg_start_backup() pending either. It's just not usually something
>>> people have need so far.
>
>> The backup label file makes that hard. There can be only one at a time.
>
> I don't actually see a use-case for streaming multiple concurrent
> backups. How many people are going to be able to afford that kind of
> load on the master's I/O bandwidth?

It's more a matter of convenience when you're setting up test
environments with small databases or something like that. I don't see
many people regularly using the streaming backup for anything larger
than a few hundred gigabytes anyway. At that point you'll most likely
want to use something more efficient.

> Certainly for version 1, it would be sufficient to throw an error if
> someone tries to start a backup while another one is in progress.
> *Maybe*, down the road, we'd want to relax it.

Yeah, it's OK for 1st version.

--
Heikki Linnakangas