Re: Streaming a base backup from master

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Date: 2010-09-03 16:11:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> what I'd like to see is protocol extensions that allow an external
> copy of rsync to be invoked; not build in rsync, or tar, or
> anything else that we could get off-the-shelf.

The complexities of dealing with properly invoking rsync externally
could well require more code and be considerably more fragile than
passing the data through the existing SR connection; particularly
since to get the full benefits of rsync you need to be dealing with
a daemon which has the appropriate modules configured -- the
location of which you wouldn't easily know.

If we were talking about re-implementing rsync, or doing more than a
rough approximation, kinda, of 5% of what rsync does, I'd be with
you.

-Kevin