Re: Primary Key index

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-docs" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Primary Key index
Date: 2010-08-26 17:50:03
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

>> It looks like discussion died here. Do you want to propose a new
>> patch? (I'd be happy to give it a shot if you'd rather.)
>
> Sure, go for it. :)

Initial stab at it attached.

I'm torn on whether the paragraph I added to the foreign key
constraint section should be in a warning block -- we do see
complaints from time-to-time from people who are surprised by slow
deletes from referenced tables; in some cases they have come from
database products which automatically create an index on the
referencing columns and are surprised that they need to choose
whether and how to do so in PostgreSQL.

I think we may want to link to these sections from the appropriate
sections of CREATE TABLE (and possibly ALTER TABLE), but that seems
like it could be a separate patch.

Exclusion constraint documentation relies rather more heavily on the
CREATE TABLE page, and is skimpy on the constraints page. I think
that the CREATE TABLE page should focus on syntax and an overview,
and link to the constraints page for any in-depth information.
Again, that seems like it could be addressed separately, but it
seemed worth mentioning, since I stumbled across it.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
constraint-indexes-1.patch text/plain 2.7 KB