Re: Strange explain on partitioned tables

From: Gerald Fontenay <gvfontenay(at)lbl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange explain on partitioned tables
Date: 2010-07-23 22:03:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

> The PostgreSQL partitioning system is aimed to support perhaps a
> hundred inherited tables. You can expect to get poor performance on
> queries if you create 1000 of them.

Hi,

Why is that you would expect poor performance for say 1000 or more? I
have a ~1000 inherited tables and I don't see any significant slowdowns.
I only ever access a single inherited table at a time though in this
situation. I suppose I am using inheritance only for organization in
this case...

Thanks,
Gerald