Re: BUG #5511: Handling of case in Username and database names are inconsistant.

From: "S(dot) Brett Sutton" <bsutton(at)noojee(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5511: Handling of case in Username and database names are inconsistant.
Date: 2010-06-21 00:34:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom,
thanks for the response.

It seems to me that whatever jdbc/psql does it needs to do it consistently.

The current system appears to be inconsistent and will certainly cause
problems for anyone creating/using an new user account via a java
application.

Our use case is as follows:

Person enters the name of a new psql database and a new psql username.
They enter the username in mixed case.
We create the database and username by passing in the mixed case
username which psql then folds.
We then attempt to authenticate with the new username which psql does
not fold so authentication fails.

I wouldn't have thought that it would not be up to jdbc to do the
folding but rather the psql server.
The psql server is clearly folding the username when it is created so
why wouldn't it also be folding the username when authenticating.

I agreed that the whole quoted identifier issue is a can of worms, but I
don't think it is necessary.
Providing that psql always folds consistently then we get a result that
makes sense.
It also sounds like always folding the username is more inline with the
sql standards.

Thoughts?

Brett