Re: BUG #5512: Password error message

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Christian Hansen <chansen23(at)btinternet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5512: Password error message
Date: 2010-06-20 17:36:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 19/06/10 03:25, Christian Hansen wrote:

> Bug reference: 5512
> Logged by: Christian Hansen
> Email address: chansen23(at)btinternet(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.4
> Operating system: Windows XP
> Details:
>
> I need to set up a programme supported by Java and postgresql 8.4
> I chose Gr8Dane$23 as my database password and successfully installed
> postgradsql 8.4
> When it came to launch the programme,I needed to type in the postrgadsql
> password, and I got an error message "Fatal error..." I assume it was
> because it did not like the $ in my password. So I uninstalled postgradsql
> intending to use a password without any symbols, but now I cannot reinstall
> it as I get an error message "Incorrect password". Could you reset your
> database so I can reinstall postgradsql. And also advise me about what I can
> use as a password, so I do not get these error messages again.

You need to change the password on the "postgres" system account in
Windows using the administrative tools, THEN re-install.

Alternately, just re-install with the old password then log in to
PostgreSQL as the "postgres" user and change the postgres user's password.

This confusion arises because there are two "postgres" users - a system
user, and database user. More information can be found in the list
archives and (hopefully) the manual.

--
Craig Ringer