Re: Transaction with in function

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Ravi Katkar" <Ravi(dot)Katkar(at)infor(dot)com>, "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction with in function
Date: 2010-05-26 16:13:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ravi Katkar <Ravi(dot)Katkar(at)infor(dot)com> wrote:

> I know that postgresql does not support nested transactions,
>
> I looking for solution for commit, rollback with in function. May
> be using the save point.

That is essentially the same as nested transactions, isn't it? Just
using SQL standard syntax?

> I were to use save point in function , when it would get commit.?

Each savepoint creates a subtransaction which will be included in
the top level transaction unless it or an intermediate savepoint is
rolled back. Nothing from the top level transaction is visible to
other transactions until the commit of the top level transaction.

If this and the docs don't make it clear, please post again:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-savepoint.html

If you do post again, please include your PostgreSQL version and an
explanation of what problem you're trying to solve. More specific
questions tend to elicit more useful responses:

-Kevin