Re: missing file in git repo

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: missing file in git repo
Date: 2010-04-30 17:46:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> The reported source of the software seems to have gone away. I can
>> let you have my copy, which reliably reproduces the error, so we
>> have a good failure test case.
>>

> If it's not as recent as this:
>
> http://ww2.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/hg/fromcvs/log/132
>
> we might want to bring in (or at least review) what's been committed
> since we grabbed our copy. Some of the fixes mentioned sound like
> they might possibly be related.

OK, there is good news on this front. When last I looked this repo was
giving errors, so I worked from the copy of the code I already had. (So
thanks to Kevin for prodding me to check again.) With the latest fromcvs
and rcsparse packages downloaded from this site I can now make and run
the 7.4 and 8.1 branches from the imported repository (I haven't checked
other branches yet.)

So we need to look at how hard it would be to upgrade the scripts on
git.postgresql.org, and if by doing so we can fix its versions of the
back branches. It would also be a good idea to have a script that
regularly checks out the important branches from git and checks that
they are identical to what is in CVS. That might help to increase Tom's
confidence level.

cheers

andrew