Re: Ticket 3: groups of servers

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ticket 3: groups of servers
Date: 2010-04-22 19:26:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 19/04/2010 13:03, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> What do you want with a right click in a group node? access to the
>> properties?
>
> Same as other nodes - Add xxx etc. It's not that important though.

Well, we didn't do it for the actual Servers node. I don't think we
should do it for this one.

>>> Y'know - as I type I can't help thinking that the correct way to do
>>> this is to consider the root node to be the group, in which we
>>> currently have a single, fixed group called 'Servers'. Additional
>>> groups would then be additional root nodes... but I don't know if you
>>> can do that on all operating systems.
>>>

>> Done. Seems to work everywhere I checked.
>
> There's something pretty broken. I'm not sure how to describe it
> though... see if you can make sense of this!
>
> - I edited a server. It had picked up my 'custom' group correctly, but
> also had a blank entry in the list. I expected to see the default
> 'Servers' there.
> - I moved the server to 'blank'. Nothing seemed to happen.
> - I looked at the properties for the server again. Now I only have 2
> blank groups listed.
> - I restarted pgAdmin. Now I have 2 identical servers under 'Servers'.
>
> What I would expect to see is:
>
> - Any existing servers automatically get moved into the 'Servers'
> group on first run of the new version.
> - Any new servers default to the first group in the combo box. This
> will obviously be 'Servers' on a new installation.
> - The Servers group is merely a default that's always available.
> Otherwise it is no different from any other group.

Finally, I had time to work on this. I changed my patch so that it
follows what you expected to see. I was not really able to reproduce the
problem you explain above after my changes.

Can you try this last one? Thanks.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org